|About us||Board of Directors||Parents Committee||Address|
The Lebanese Autism Society - LAS - was founded
in 1999 by parents of children with Autism, along with professionals in medicine and
It is a Non-Governmental & Non-profit Organization, registered as: 19/AD, 1999.
LAS is located at the Collège du Sacré-Coeur at Gemmayzeh, since September 2007.
The LAS mission is to advocate for the rights of individuals with Autism and to provide them and their families support and services, from early childhood to adulthood.
The well being of Individuals with Autism in Lebanon.
The Lebanese Autism Society (LAS) is a non-governmental organization (registered by official decree No.19/AD dated March 10, 1999). The LAS was founded by parents of children with Autism and some professionals. To this date, more than 400 members joined the Association. LAS is a founding member and the coordinator of the Arab Network for Autism (ANA) and of the National Committee for Autism in Lebanon. LAS is also a member of different national and international organizations including Union Nationale des Associations de Parents et d’Institutions pour Enfants Inadaptés (UNAPIEI), World Autism Organization (WAO), AUTISM EUROPE, Association pour la Recherche sur l’Autisme et le Prévention des Inadaptations(ARAPI).
Since its initiation, LAS has been involved over the years with programs and activities that address the needs of children and teenagers with Autism in Lebanon. This was possible through a comprehensive modular approach that emphasized intervention programs, advocacy and awareness. LAS current projects include:
• CCA Fr/En: Classes for Children with Autism is a school integration program which started in 2000 and aims at providing special education for children with Autism in a general education system
• CDIP: Early Diagnosis and Intervention Center, implemented with funding from Al Walid Bin Talal Foundation in 2005, is a Center that provides Early Diagnosis and Intervention for children with Special needs.
• TSA: Technical School for Adolescents with Autism, launched in 2006, provides vocational training opportunities for Adolescent with Autism through special and regular vocational training.
OUR FUTURE PROJECT
• Specialized Community Living and Learning Center for Autism: The establishment of the specialized center is in response to actual urgent needs and aims mainly at facilitating the transition of youth with Autism into Adulthood. The center would provide support in the areas of adaptive living skills, independent living arrangements, supported employment/education, social skills development and recreational opportunities.
OUR ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS
• Training for local and regional organization dealing with Autism
• Local and regional conferences and seminars
• Workshops on Autism for different target groups such as parents, caregivers or professionals
• Publications related to Autism
• Monthly support group
• Yearly awareness campaign
In October 2000, the LAS started a pioneer project in
entitled: "School Integration of Children with Autism". The project's main objective is to give a chance to childrenwith Autism to live and learn in a regular school, in the least restrictive environment rather than being in a center for handicapped children. Lebanon
At that time, LAS established two classrooms(CCA) in Lycee Abdel-Kader. A multidisciplinary team, which consists of: a speech therapist, an occupational therapist, a psychologist and special educators, follows the children in those classrooms.
Since September 2007, the LAS has moved to the Collège du Sacré-Coeur at Gemmayzeh and has more than 22 students with autism, with several classes (CCA & TSA) and programs.
Concerning the integration, it depends on the grade level of the child and his capacities to follow up in a regular context. In fact, the class of younger children (CCA) has a better chance to integrate specific subjects in academic classes depending on their skills. Whereas the teenaged children are integrated in non-academic activities: physical education, recess... Plus, the class of adolescents (T.S.A) aims towards the integration in the community.
The main objective of the project is to allow the child with autism to function in a regular setting since his early age, as well as to familiarize normal children with this disorder. By interacting in a least restrictive environment, the autistic child has a greater chance to adapt to the society as well as to recover from his disabilities.
LAS has also established the Cdip (Centre de Diagnostic et d'Intervention Precoce).
This centre was inaugurated on April 19th, 2005, in Corniche Mazraa ,under the patronage of the first lady, Mrs Andrée Lahoud, thanks to the funds granted by the Al-Walid Bin Talal humanitarian foundation.
- then, Starting 1st of March 2008, it has moved to the Collège du Sacré-Coeur, Gemmayzeh.
The centre gives the diagnosis and intervention for the children from 0 to five years old , by a multi-disciplinary team.
Mrs. Arwa El-Amine Halawi President +961-3-232427 send an email Mrs. Ghada Serhal Bou Nemr Vice-President +961-3-418881 Mrs. Ghada Hayek Makhoul Secretary of the Board +961-3-254422 send an email Mr. Hassan Makki Treasurer Mr. Bassam Mhanna Accountant Mrs. Hala El Masri Tleiss Member Dr. Kamal Bekdash Member Dr. Mohammad Itani Member +961-3-635662 Dr. Mustapha Haidar Member
Mrs. Marleine Nehme Mehanna President send an email Mrs. Ghada Hayek Makhoul Vice-President send an email Mrs. Hala Ibrahim Secretary Mr. George Kaii Treasurer Mrs. Alexa Karam Supporting Member
The Lebanese Autism Society (LAS)
LAS is a registered (19/AD) non governmental & non-profit organization.
Lebanese Autism Society - LAS
Collège du Sacré-Coeur / Gemmayzeh
P.O. Box: 113/5819
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ______________________________________________________________________________________________
The Lebanese Autism Society (LAS)
For your Contributions:
Please transfer to: AUDI BANK, Verdun Branch, Beirut - Lebanon,
|293275||01||LBP||LB81 0056 0002 9327 5461 0010 2101|
|293275||03||USD||LB22 0056 0002 9327 5461 0020 2103|
|293275||07||EUR||LB92 0056 0002 9327 5461 0440 2107|
|Swift Code: AUDBLBBX|